Fruit crisp (aka fruit crumble) is one of the most versatile and easiest comfort foods because it can be made with any fruit for any season, and is perfectly suitable for family or guests.
I love trying something new especially when it works out perfectly! Take for example apple crisp. It's really hard to mess up a fruit crisp, unless of course you put it in the oven, and for the next hour you multi-task like crazy until you smell something burning;) (never have done that;)
Please folks...set a timer!
I looked at my mom's original apple crisp recipe and pondered whether or not to substitute our apple butter (I'm picky about apple butter) for the sugar. Well, it worked!
The result was amazing! This may be one of the best apple crisps I have ever had! You must try this! For the adventurous, substitute our new Cherchies® Cherry Butter for an apple-cherry crisp, or our Cherchies® Strawberry Butter for an apple-strawberry crisp! Delicious!
- Cooking Spray
- 6-7 medium apples, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) orange zest, plus juice from the Orange
- 1 jar Cherchies® Apple Butter Spread (try our Cherry or Strawberry Butters as a tangy substitution)
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour (We tested with Bob's Mill All Purpose Flour but have also used regular flour)
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) butter, melted
- 6 Tablespoons (Tbsp) butter cut into chunks
Spray 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Peel and chop apples. Place apples in a baking dish with lemon juice and combine until apples are evenly coated. Add orange zest, Cherchies® Apple Butter Spread, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and mix together.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, and remaining cinnamon. Add the 2 tablespoons of melted butter to the flour mixture. Mix together with a fork until tiny crumbs form.
Sprinkle crumb topping over apples.
Cut up remaining 6 Tablespoons of butter and dot apple crisp with butter. Bake apple crisp for about 1 hour, or until apple crisp is golden brown and bubbly.
Serve with your favorite ice cream. Oh my goodness, you must try! Enjoy!