Hands down as the name implies, this recipe is the "Best Darn Coleslaw Recipe". Period. My sister gave me this recipe a few years ago, (I made a couple of tweaks) and it's so good, my kiddos actually eat it. That's right friends, my teenagers are eating cabbage!
The tang from the vinegar and the sweet kick from the Champagne Mustard marry together well in this delightful coleslaw. I usually try to make recipes from scratch, but because of time constraints, I bought the pre-bagged coleslaw mix instead of shredding the cabbage myself. You are certainly welcome to shred away my friends;)
This recipe is perfect by itself as a side dish, but could be an amazing addition to your favorite pulled pork or sandwich. Bring this coleslaw to your next potluck or picnic, and watch it disappear!
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded
- 1 small head of red cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, skinned and shredded
- 1 small red onion or large shallot, finely chopped
- 4 Tablespoons minced fresh Parsley (optional) or Cilantro
- 2 teaspoons (tsp) salt
- 1/4 teaspoons (tsp) pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons (tsp) celery seed
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) Cherchies® Champagne Mustard (for a spicier palate, substitute our Hot Banana Pepper Mustard)
- 1/2 cup half and half or light cream
- 1 cup Light Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 Tablespoons (Tbsp) Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) Rice Vinegar
This recipe is best if mixed together the night before or early in the day of your event. Finely chop the onions and add them and the coleslaw mix to a medium bowl. Add chopped parsley (I prefer Cilantro) and set aside.
In another bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients. Pour over the cabbage mixture and add just enough of the dressing to wet the slaw and blend the flavors.
You may want to grab some for yourself because this slaw is bound to disappear quickly! Enjoy!