One of my favorite herbs is Basil! I grow mounds of it every summer, but when the growing season here in Pennsylvania dwindles, I grow Basil indoors. Pesto is so easy to make and it's even better when it's fresh.
- 2 cups fresh Basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) Cherchies® Garlic Seasoning (or Cherchies Garlic 'n Herbs No Salt Seasoning)- more to taste
- 1 cup spinach
- 3 Tablespoons (Tbsp) walnuts (or pine nuts), lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor (or blender), combine the basil, garlic, Cherchies® Garlic Seasoning, spinach, and pine nuts. Process until finely chopped. While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle the olive oil until the mixture is a smooth, thick paste. Add pepper to taste.
Once the pesto is to desired consistency, remove from processor and scrape contents with a spatula into a medium bowl. Stir in parmesan cheese by hand and enjoy on sandwiches, pasta, etc. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
*Note: Pesto is best served immediately, as it tends to brown if not used right away. My trick, add spinach! Sneaky, huh? The spinach in the recipe allows the pesto to remain green for some time in the refrigerator. The result, perfectly green pesto. Enjoy!