Cook Time: 30 minutes
As a busy mom of three, weeknights are often hectic with homework, after school activities, etc., and dinnertime can be quite challenging. I love when a recipe comes together, sometimes out of necessity. It all started with a jar of Cherchies® Vidalia Onion Peach Salsa!
I'm not a fan of wasting food, in fact, I'm known for turning yesterday's leftovers (my children are leftover snobs...maybe it's the word "leftovers") into tonight's masterpiece .
I had a plethora of peppers (not exactly my children's favorite vegetable) left over from New Year's and wanted to create something quick, easy, and delicious. I figured if I disguised the peppers in a tasty sauce (my family loves our peach salsa), they'd eat them. It worked (they even ate the peppers!) I added chicken to the peach salsa sauce, served it over rice, and presto, dinner was ready in 30 minutes.
So grab a jar of Cherchies® Vidalia Onion Peach Salsa, a deliciously spiced and perfectly balanced sweet and savory condiment, and turn dinner into a flavor packed, quick and easy dish. You family may even eat their peppers...and ask for seconds (gasp! Mine did).
- 1 package of chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 1 red, yellow, and green pepper, roughly chopped (I had some orange peppers leftover, so I added them)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) Cherchies® Garlic Seasoning (Could substitute Cherchies® No-Salt Garlic and Herbs Seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) pepper
- 2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) Olive oil (Could use coconut oil)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 jar of Cherchies® Vidalia Onion Peach Salsa
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) cornstarch
- several drops of hot sauce (to taste)
- 2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) Orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) chicken bouillon (we used Minor's Chicken base -Gluten free)
- 2 cups cooked rice (optional- I snuck in brown rice 2:1 for my family...they didn't even flinch)
Roughly chop the peppers and onion. Set aside.
Dice chicken into 1 inch chunks. Place chicken chunks into a large bowl and season chicken with Cherchies® Garlic Seasoning and pepper, mixing to ensure all the chicken is coated. Wash the bowl.
Turn stove onto medium, add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet, and cook the chicken until almost cooked through (20 minutes or less depending on size of chicken chunks). Turn off stove and return chicken to bowl. Set aside.
In same skillet, turn stove back onto medium and add onions and peppers. Cook until peppers and onions are soft and onions are translucent. Add butter to pan.
Add salsa, soy sauce, hot sauce, bouillon, and orange juice. Stir to combine. Return chicken to pan with vegetables. Sprinkle on cornstarch. Stir and cook for a couple more minutes. Mixture will thicken.
Serve over rice. (chia̍h hok) - Eat well, enjoy good food!