Delicious on a cold winters day or night - refreshing on a summer's evening when made with your tomatoes straight out of the garden!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 TBSP. Cherchies® Lem'n Dill Seasoning or Cherchies® Basil Pizzazz Seasoning (if use Lem 'n Dill, use 1 Tsp. fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 (28 oz.) can a 1 (16 oz.) can tomatoes, drained and chopped.
- 3 TBSP. tomato paste
- 3 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - 1 Tsp. sugar
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Croutons (optional garnish)
In a 5 quart saucepan, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Add onion, Lem'n Dill Seasoning (Basil Pizzazz) and basil (do not use basil if using Basil Pizzazz). Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and very lightly browned.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste to onion mixture. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
Combine 1/2 cup chicken stock with flour in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add to tomato mixture. Blend in remaining stock and simmer 30 minutes.
Transfer soup (in batches) to food processor fitted with a steel blade and puree. Return to saucepan and season to taste with salt, pepper and sugar.
Serve hot. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and croutons on top.
Makes 6-8 servings
Cooking Tip: This soup freezes very well