Cook Time: 30 minutes Difficulty: Easy
This tasty recipe has comfort written all over it. Creamy Monterey Jack polenta topped with a spicy tomato chicken and sausage stew! Oh my!
I wasn't sure how the kiddos would react to eating polenta, but they enjoyed this dish immensely. A definite must have in your recipe repertoire!
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 Italian sausage links, sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon (tsp) Cherchies® Garlic & Herbs Seasoning
- 1 package Terrapin Ridge Farms Fiesta Dip Mix
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp) pepper
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
- 4 - 4 1/2 cups water
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish (optional)
In a large dutch oven, add the onions, chicken, sausage, Fiesta Dip Mix, Garlic 'n Herbs Seasoning, and oil. Cook until chicken and sausage are no longer pink (about 15 minutes). As chicken and sausage are cooking, prepare the polenta.
Add chicken broth or white wine to the dutch oven, making sure to scrape the bottom to loosen any bits that may have stuck. This is flavor you don't want to miss in your dish. Add the tomato sauce, garlic, cilantro, and greek yogurt. Stir and simmer on low until polenta is finished.
In a large high sided skillet add water and milk. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in polenta. Once all the polenta has been added turn the heat down to low and slowly whisk until thick. On my stove this takes about 7 minutes. Once creamy and cooked remove from heat and stir in butter, cheese and salt.
Add polenta to the bottom of a bowl and top with the stew. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired. One dish comfort! Enjoy:)