Cook Time: 30 minutes
Move over Orange Chicken and make way for Lemon Raspberry Chicken, a new "twist" on the Chinese classic dish. Friday nights are usually take-out nights for our family, but we also love going out to dinner on occasion to give mom a break;)
What I love most with take-out is to recreate our favorite recipes at home, because I can control what ingredients go into the dishes, and it's an opportunity to cook as a family, so Fridays as of late, have become family cooking nights.
This time, I decided to re-invent one of our family's favorite Chinese recipes, Orange Chicken, and not only did I make it gluten-free (my hubby has a gluten intolerance), but I put a new spin on this classic dish.
Every once in awhile, it's okay to eat fried food (I'm giving you permission), and although baking the chicken is the healthier option, the results were much better frying the chicken.
I've created Lemon Raspberry Chicken by substituting our Cherchies® Lem 'n Raspberry Marmalade for the Orange Marmalade in the original recipe I've been using for years. OMG (Oh My Goodness...My teeneagers would say, Oh My God), I may never go back to the orange version again, it was THAT good! You need to try!
Combine this Chinese Lemon Raspberry Chicken with a green salad and our Savory Wedge Bread for a complete meal!
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) Coconut oil (you can use olive or canola oil too)
- 1 small red, green, and yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
- Pepper (to taste, roughly 1 teaspoon (tsp)
- 1 cup Cornstarch (or more to coat chicken)
- Cherchies®Garlic Seasoning (or can substitute Cherchies®Garlic 'n Herbs Seasoning)
- Boneless Skinless Chicken breasts or tenders, sliced into strips or cut into large pieces
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) soy sauce (could substitute a gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) lemon zest (optional)
- 1/3 c. bbq sauce (could substitute gluten free bbq sauce. Annie's has a great gluten free bbq sauce)
- 1/3 c. Cherchies® Lem 'n Raspberry Marmalade
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) minced ginger
- 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) Cherchies®Garlic Seasoning
- dash red pepper flakes
- Sliced green onions (green part only-optional for garnish)
- Cooked rice
Slice chicken into strips or dice into chunks. Set aside. Chop peppers into 1 inch chunks. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, generously season chicken with Cherchies®Garlic Seasoning. Mix to combine. Then place chicken In a medium bowl or resealable plastic bag, and coat chicken pieces in cornstarch, until completely coated. Set aside.
Add coconut oil to a large skillet, and turn heat onto medium/medium low. Add peppers to skillet and season with Cherchies®Garlic Seasoning and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until tender/crisp (about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally). Add soy sauce, lemon juice, lemon zest (optional), and stir. Add Cherchies® Lem 'n Raspberry Marmalade, BBQ sauce, and stir occasionally. Sauce will thicken (If too thick, add 1 Tablespoon (Tbsp) water at a time). Turn heat off.
While peppers are cooking, pour oil into a large dutch oven, filling it to about 2 inches deep, and turn the heat onto medium. Heat until oil is about 350 degrees.
Add chicken in small batches (not to overcrowd in the pan) to the oil, and fry for about 5-7 minutes, or until chicken is golden brown, turning once. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Continue until all chicken is cooked.
Turn pan with peppers on low to finish cooking. Add Garlic Seasoning, ginger, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Stir. Add in chicken and stir for a couple of minutes until chicken is coated with sauce and warmed.
Serve over rice (I sneak in equal parts of white rice and brown rice). Enjoy!