The PB&J is our family's go-to sandwich. Our children will often make it when they get home from school because it is quick, easy, and satisfying. But PB&J cupcakes? Would that push my kiddos over their culinary boundaries? I had never thought of making them until recently, but I had to give it a try and surprise my children with this delicious treat. Instead of preparing these cupcakes identical to their nostalgic counterpart (with grape or strawberry jam), I opted for our Cherry Butter Spread and Blackberry Preserves (any of our butter spreads and preserves would be just as delicious). I used white cupcakes that I adapted from Glorious Treats and added peanut butter to my sister's buttercream icing recipe.
Friends, let me tell you something...you will be transported back to your childhood with these heavenly cupcakes! They turned out perfectly, as they were fluffy, fruity, and peanutty, just like a PB&J sandwich! My son liked them so much, he insisted on using this recipe for his upcoming Cupcake Wars school fundraiser. You need to add this tasty recipe to your arsenal today!
Comment below, as we would love to know how they turn out on your end, and which butter spread or preserve you decided to use! Or, use #cherchies_gourmet on Instagram or Twitter, or upload a photo of your concoction to our Facebook page. Or email it to me! Have fun and thank you for visiting!
Ingredients- "Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes"- Recipe adapted from Glorious Treats
Yields- 15-16 cupcakes
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour*
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/3 cup milk (whole or low fat, but avoid fat free)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (full fat or light, but avoid fat free)
- Cherchies® Cherry Butter Spread
- Cherchies® Blackberry Preserves
- 15-16 cherries (optional for garnish)
*Note- if do not have cake flour, use this simple substitution, for every cup of flour, remove 2 Tablespoons (Tbsp) of flour and substitute with cornstarch and sift together, several times.
Ingredients for Icing
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon (tsp.) almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (tsp.) vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons half & half (milk is fine too)
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
Preheat oven to 325*F.
Prepare the icing. Cream together shortening, butter, peanut butter, extracts and milk. Gradually add powdered sugar. Mix until blended. Set aside.